For me, this time of year can often feel like a race to the finish; many of our faith communities are wrapping up the program year, youth are graduating, and the whole summer is ahead of us! Even though spiritual practice can sometimes get put on the back burner when we are at our busiest (who, ME?!), taking a few moments to re-center can really help to ease the stress during our most hectic seasons.
Here are some ideas to bring spiritual practices into your home, no matter what your age:
Keep it Simple:
For many of us, taking time out can seem just out of reach. Try some of these ideas to weave spirituality into your everyday life:
- Transform “mundane” into “meaningful”: Sometimes spiritual practice can be found in our everyday lives; a simple paradigm shiftcan turn the commute to work or weeding the garden into a time to re-focus and re-set. Let yourself be present in these moments and you may just turn a simple task into something truly transformative!
- Make it a family affair: Spiritual practice does not have to happen when you are alone; try a little family yoga or go for a hike. You may be surprised how simple family routines, like lighting a chalice at a meal time, can be used to help center your entire family.
- Make it routine: pencil some time for your spiritual health into your schedule at the same time every day. It can give you something to look forward to and, remember, spiritual practice takes… well, practice!
Do Something you love:
Whether you are creative, athletic, or even a social butterfly, make your practice something your really look forward to everyday. Here are some examples:
- Try knitting, painting, creating floral arrangements or even building a Lego tower.
- Get into Nature! Enjoy a sunrise with a warm cup of coffee, or try spending some time in the garden.
- Go for a run, a bike ride, or yoga
- Keep a journal or even give UU tweeting a try!
Share your experience!
- Do you have a favorite practice or resource? Share it below!